Friday 6 June 2014

Three Little Birds


Don't Worry About A Thing
'Cos Every Little Thing's Gonna Be Alright

Halfway through last weekend's 22.7 mile/7 hour training walk I checked my emails on my phone and had one from Fran. She'd shazamed Bob Marley's Three Little Birds and sent it to me. I guess she was thinking that around about mile 17, in 23 degree heat we might be needing some encouragement.

It's crazy when you think about it. Fran (in the middle of her fourth round of chemo) was sending me (out for a stroll in the sunshine) encouragement and motivation. It worked though. I love that song. 

I had been worrying. I am a bit of a worrier. I'd been worrying about whether we should have been taking more breaks, whether the others would be annoyed at me for wanting to take more breaks, whether I could stomach yet another cereal bar, whether the loos at Cosgrove lock would be open or if I'd be peeing in front of bemused sheep (again). 

Whether I really have it in me to walk 62 miles in less than 4 weeks time.

I have read all the books on worrying. You know; focus on what you can control, don't worry about what you can't, think of the worst case scenario and how you can still deal with it. 

Here are some of my 'Worst Case Scenario' fears about this ridiculous thing I've roped all these people into (in no particular order):
  1. Everyone hates it, and they hate me for roping them into it
  2. I fall in the canal/break a leg/my feet fall off, I let down all the amazing people who have sponsored us, and the rest of the team hate me.
  3. I break myself. Mentally, emotionally, physically. And the rest of the team hate me.
  4. I get it wrong. Wrong start time/food/rest break/support car/pre-walk hotel plan and the rest of the team hate me.
Ridiculous, I know, but there it is. Fundamentally I've been getting a bit stressed about letting my team down. 

So when I received a link to Three Little Birds from Fran, Fran who we are walking for, Fran who frankly has other stuff to focus on than reassuring my fragile ego, I felt all at once buoyed and chastened. And I realised something else: 

We all have stuff we worry about, stuff that causes us doubts and darker moments. We could stack them all up against each other and have some kind of 'worry-off' (mine's bigger/more likely to happen/more serious). Or we could offer each other little bits of support and encouragement when we have the chance. A smile, shared silliness, a word of encouragement. This link to cute foxes that my husband sent today knowing I was a bit stressy. The email from one of our wider HR team telling me she thought we were great for doing this.

Our team will be needing that in three weeks time. And we'll sure as heck need it tomorrow when we do our first night walk - 8 hours (about 28 miles) starting at 11.30pm and pushing on through to breakfast. I've picked the stuff I can control (favourite socks, waterproof trousers, ending the walk near somewhere that serves breakfast) and am choosing not to worry about the stuff we can't (the fact that it's forecasting thunderstorms). And along the way we'll cheer and encourage and support each other. Because that's what this thing is all about. 

If you want to encourage us, or show your support for Fran, you can sponsor the team here:


No comments:

Post a Comment